Why won’t RuneScape launch on my computer?
The following reasons can contribute to RuneScape not launching through the gaming client or Steam.
- RuneScape is implementing an update and thus experiencing an outage.
- Your ISP is restricting the game access on the network.
- You have an outdated Java version installed on your PC.
- Windows firewall settings are blocking the RuneScape client from launching on PC.
- Your GPU drivers are out of date.
- You are using another screen to view the game content via HDMI cable.
- The integrity of the RuneScape game files is compromised.
- Your system is running on an outdated OS build.
How do you fix RuneScape when it wont open?
Try the following troubleshooting steps if RuneScape fails to launch on your PC.
Use a VPN
Sometimes, you might suffer from geo-restrictions, and your internet service provider restricts you from launching the game on your network. Therefore, if you use a browser to play the RuneScape game, we recommend using a VPN to connect to a geo-supported server and launch the game through the RuneScape website.
RuneScape and Old School RuneScape need Java installed on your computer to launch the game. Also, an older Java version may not be compatible to launch the RuneScape client. To fix the issue, delete old Java versions from your PC and install the latest copy. Afterward, run the RuneScape client to verify the fix.
Run Windows update
An outdated OS can trigger the RuneScape launching issues. Therefore, update the OS build to ensure that the RuneScape game can launch properly on your PC. To do this on Windows, go to Windows Settings –> Update & Security –> Windows Update –> Check for updates.
Mac users can update their OS by accessing the Apple menu and navigating to System Preferences –> Software Update –> Update Now.
Allow RuneScape client through Windows firewall
If Windows firewall settings block the RuneScape or Steam client, you can’t launch it on your PC. You can allow the gaming client through the firewall in the following way.
- Go to Windows Control Panel and select the System and Security option.
- Click on the Windows firewall option and select “Allow an app or feature.”
- Next, hit the Change settings button.
- Now select the RuneScape client and check both the public and private options.
- Finally, save the changes and see if the RuneScape launches this time.
Update graphic card drivers
Try updating GU drivers if you can’t launch Runescape on your PC and Steam client.
To do this on Windows, Type devmgmt.msc on the Run command to access your system’s Device Manager. Next, expand the Display adapters list and right-click on your graphics card. Now choose the Update driver option and select the automatic Windows search option.
Use launcher application
If you have downloaded the client and can’t launch it for the first time through the default client shortcut on your desktop, you’ll have to use the launcher application located at C:/Program Files/Jagex/RuneScape Launcher/RuneScape.exe.
Afterward, create a client’s shortcut on your desktop or pin the client to the taskbar when the client launches. Hopefully, the game will launch and load this time.
How long does a system update take on RuneScape?
Jagex regularly launches system content-related updates to the RuneScape game engine. These updates can be an improvement, a new quest, or modifying existing game sections.
The RuneScape updates usually take 2 to 20 minutes to upload on the game engine. However, you may have to wait over an hour for significant updates like Bot Nuke.
Therefore, if you fail to log in to your gaming client, it could be that the RuneScape is going through an update. To fix this, wait for some time and relaunch the client.
How do I run RuneScape in compatibility mode?
If you’re trying to launch the RuneScape client on Windows 10, you may run into compatibility issues. You can often fix it by changing the launch configurations to the previous Windows OS. To do this:
- Right-click the RuneScape or Old School RuneScape client and select Properties.
- Under the Compatibility tab, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option box.
- Next, select an older version of the Windows OS from the drop-down list.
- Also, select the “Run this program as an administrator” option and apply the changes.
- Finally, launch the RuneScape client and see if the issue persists.
Steam client users can also use the above method to run the Steam client in the Windows compatibility mode.
Why is RuneScape stuck on loading application resources?
If you use an HDMI cable to connect your PC to a second screen, you might encounter RuneScape stuck on launch. To fix this issue:
- Close the RuneScape client and unplug the HDMI cable from the PC and the second screen.
- Now, relaunch the client and plug one side of the HDMI cable into the second screen.
- Finally, plug in the other end of the HDMI cable on your PC.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix the RuneScape launching issues on your PC. If the above troubleshooting steps fixed the gaming client issues but didn’t help launch the game on Steam, try verifying the integrity of game files on the platform. Furthermore, you can reinstall RuneScape on Steam and the gaming client to fix the problem.