Are you using the Reddit app, but it is not working on your Android phone? Does the app fail to load after the front page and subreddits? This article will show you different troubleshooting methods to fix the Reddit app and stop it from malfunctioning.
Although Reddit is not as popular as Facebook or Google, it’s holding its ground to be one of the best social platforms for online conversations. The Reddit network covers almost all topics from all communities and has a solid following.
However, quite a few Reddit users report that app crashes on their Android phone or tablet from time to time. They often see connection errors, post/GIF loading errors with working WiFi, and intermittent app crashing issues. Let’s find out what is causing the Reddit app to behave this way.
Why is Reddit app not working on Android?
- The app is stuck in its operation due to a temporary glitch.
- You are using an outdated version of the Reddit app.
- Reddit app is unable to load due to server outages.
- The app’s cached data is bulking up and causing performance issues.
- The search filter is disabled in the Reddit app settings.
- Other apps on your Android device are creating a conflict with the Reddit app.
- You have turned on the app’s AutoPlay settings.
How do I fix Reddit app not working on Android?
Force close Reddit app
Sometimes the Reddit app is stuck in its operation and crashes or hangs instantly. One easy and quick way to get the app out of its hung state is to force close it. To do this on your Android device:
- Tap the Settings icon on the home screen of your Android device.
- Now navigate to the Apps management or Apps Manager and tap on it.
- Next, scroll down and tap on the Reddit app.
- Finally, select the Force close button and reopen the Reddit app to verify it is operating without any issues.
Restart Android device
The Reddit app not working issue could be a result of a temporary misconfiguration of your Android device. The temporary glitch can be cleared by rebooting your phone/tab. You can easily do it by pressing the Power button on your phone and selecting the Restart option from the menu.
Clear app cache
The Reddit app boosts its performance by storing cache files on the device. However, when the cache gets corrupt, it does the opposite and slows down the app loading operation. Furthermore, the bulky app cache results in your Android device running out of storage as well.
In this context, clearing the Reddit app cache on your Android device can fix crashing, loading, and performance issues. To do this:
- Tap on the Settings icon located on the Home screen of your Android device.
- Scroll down to the Apps section and tap on the Apps list.
- Now scroll again and tap on the Reddit app.
- Next, tap on the Storage option and tap on both Clear data and Clear cache options.
- Finally, restart the Reddit app and verify that it is working fine.
Update Reddit app
As with most Android apps, the Reddit app developers release updates to their users that contain patches to fix the existing issues. The Reddit app may fail to load or experience crashing problems if you use an outdated version. In this situation, updating the Reddit app to the latest version may solve the problem.
You can update the Reddit app on your Android device in the following way.
- Tap on the Google Play Store on your device’s home screen.
- Now tap on your profile picture on the upper right side of the screen.
- Next, tap on the Manage apps & device option and then tap on Updates available.
- Finally, if you see an update option next to the Reddit app, tap on it and download the latest build.
Disable/Uninstall conflicting apps
When another app on your Android device interferes with the Reddit app, it won’t work smoothly. Therefore, you need to uninstall the conflicting apps to resolve the issue. You can do this by simply checking your recently installed apps. Once you have identified the culprit, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Settings –> Apps Manager –> Apps list.
- Choose the apps that you don’t use often or that were recently installed on your Android device.
- Uninstall each of those apps and reboot your Android device phone.
Once the process finishes, check to see if the Reddit app is functioning correctly.
Enable Search Filter
Reddit app has a search box that can find your content preferences according to gender and location. If the issue you are having on the Reddit app is related to the search filter not working, check the app settings to confirm that the search filter option is enabled.
How do I turn off Reddit autoplay settings?
The AutoPlay option is enabled in the Reddit app by default and can impact the app loading time in a few cases. However, you can disable the AutoPlay feature and get the app working again in the following way.
- Open the Reddit app and tap on your Profile icon at the top left side of the screen.
- Tap on Settings at the bottom and then tap on AutoPlay under View Options.
- Now select the “Never” box from the three options.
- Next, force close the Reddit app as discussed earlier in the guide.
- Finally, reopen the app and verify that it is loading without a hiccup and not giving any connection errors.
Hopefully, this guide will help you find the right reason for your existing Reddit app problem. However, if the issue persists on your Android device, check the Reddit servers’ status and try reinstalling the app. Furthermore, you can also use any third-party app with Reddit, such as Sync for Reddit, Boost, etc.