Have you started playing one of your installed games on your PS5 gaming console and are seeing an error “Something went wrong”? Does this message cause the game or application to crash and close? This article will explain this error in detail.
PS5 was launched on November 12, 2020, and is compatible with PS4 games. The PS5 user interface is simple and has all the modern features you would expect from a gaming console like real-time updates on friends, multiplayer activities, and single-player games.
However, the ‘something went wrong error’ on PS5 can ruin the fun for any player as your saved data may get lost if a specific application crashes. Let us guide you on why the error happens and what can you do to fix it.
Why does my PS5 say can’t load something went wrong
Following are the few reasons that can lead to the “Can’t load Something Went Wrong” error message on your Playstation 5.
- Something is wrong with your internet connection that is triggering the can’t load error.
- PS5 servers are under maintenance or experiencing a technical glitch that is not allowing them to connect to your console.
- Your account might be suspended or banned.
How do you fix PS5 can’t load something went wrong error
To fix the error, you can try the following troubleshooting methods.
Check PlayStation server status
Sometimes, an interruption with the Playstation network services can trigger the “Can’t load” error on your PS5 gaming console. Therefore, it is best to first check the official PSN server status in your country. If something is wrong with the server, you have to wait until the error is fixed and the server is responding to your PS5.
Check internet connectivity issues
If you are having WIFI signal strength issues or otherwise experiencing poor internet speed, your PS5 can log an error when loading content. To check the internet issues on your PS5 console:
- Click on Settings and go to Network
- Next, navigate to the Connection status
- Now select Test Internet Connection
Once the network test is complete and an issue is found regarding recommended speed, restart your router or contact your internet service provider to fix the issue. Alternatively, connect to the internet through the Ethernet cable and run the test again.
Adjust game menu settings
Sometimes, disabling WIFI while launching the game on your PS5 fixes the loading error. To do this:
- Navigate to the Game Menu on your Playstation 5
- Next, go to the WIFI Settings and check the Enable box
- While connected to the internet, click the Play Online button a few times before attempting to reconnect
- Verify that the error is fixed
Reinstall the game app
If some particular games or apps are causing the error, you can delete and reinstall them again. This fix works for most players. To do this on your PS5:
- Go to the PS5 Home screen and highlight a particular game or app that is causing the error
- Press the Options key, choose Delete, and press Ok
- Now go back to the Home screen and select Game Library
- Scroll and find the app you deleted and click on it
- Choose download and launch the game or app
How do you update your PS5 when it says something went wrong?
If none of the above fixes helped you fix the “Can’t load Something Went Wrong” error, you can check to see if an update is available for your PS5 console. The updated software might have a patch that fixes the errors found in previous software versions. To check for a system update and apply it:
- Confirm that your PS5 is connected to the internet
- From the Home screen, go to the Settings menu and click on System
- Navigate to the System Software
- Next, click on System Software Update and then select Settings
- Now select Update System Software
- If an update is available, your PS5 will download and install it to fix the error
How do you hard reset a PS5?
Quite often, you can fix game errors by hard resetting your PS5. To do this:
- Backup your files by going to Settings –> System –> Backup & Restore
- Now select Backup your PS5 save the data on an external drive
- Next, use the Power button to turn off PS5
- After a few seconds, press and hold the Power button and release it when you hear a second beep from PS5
- Connect your controller and press the PS button to start the console in safe mode
- Finally, select either Reset PS5 or Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software)
- Wait for a few minutes to let the process complete and then restart PS5 to boot in normal mode
Apart from the PS5 server issue, the “Can’t load” error means that something went wrong with your console, game/app, or with your internet connection. Hopefully, you have fixed the error message on your console and are now playing your favorite games error-free.