Are you experiencing Oculus Quest 2 black screen while diving into VR games and media? Does the issue also happen on Oculus 2 PC Virtual Desktop app? Don’t panic; you are not the only one facing the problem. We’ve put together a list of troubleshooting steps that you can do to fix the black screen on Oculus Quest 2.
Oculus Quest 2 has more key upgrades than its earlier version. It has an improved design, support for more accessories, and a better touch controller. Furthermore, Oculus Quest 2 is lightweight, has a faster processor, more RAM, and a higher resolution display as compared to Oculus Quest.
However, a few users report seeing a black screen on Oculus Quest 2 virtual desktop link or the headset. Before jumping in to repair or replace your headset from Oculus, let’s find out why you encountered this issue and how to fix it.
Why does my quest 2 Keep going to a black screen?
If your Oculus Quest 2 headset screen shows a black screen or the same is happening with the Virtual Desktop, it could be due to any one of the following reasons.
- The OS device drivers are out-of-date.
- PC graphic card settings are misconfigured.
- Oculus 2 headset software is malfunctioning.
- Oculus Quest 2 headset has no charge.
- The proximity sensor lens on the headset is either dirty or faulty.
- The headset is stuck on firmware updates.
How do I fix a black screen with Oculus?
Try the following troubleshooting steps if you get a black screen on your VR headset.
- If the Oculus Quest 2 headset is not charged, it will show a black screen. Therefore, plug the VR headset into a USB charger and let it charge for at least 30 minutes. Also, as the Oculus Quest 2 charger outputs 2A, therefore, make sure you are using a compatible charger with your VR headset.
- Sometimes, the headset is stuck downloading the firmware updates, resulting in a black screen. In this case, plug the headset into the charger until it finishes the update.
- There is a small proximity sensor between your headset lenses. It can get dirty over time and shows a black screen. Therefore, first, cover the lens with your finger and see if the black screen goes away. Afterward, clean the sensor with a microfiber cloth and check if this fixes the issue.
How do I fix the black screen on the Oculus 2 virtual desktop?
In some computer configurations, the Virtual Desktop button on the Oculus Quest 2 dashboard shows a black screen while using the Quest link. It points to an issue with the PC GPU, and you can fix it by trying out the following troubleshooting steps.
Set Oculus Quest app preference
- Launch the Windows Settings app and navigate to System –> Display –> Graphics Settings –>Graphics performance preference.
- Select the “Choose an app to set preference” option and click on the Desktop app.
- Next, click Browse and go to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\ and then double click the OVRServer_x64.exe to add the file.
- Now set the “Options” to “Power Saving” mode, and apply the changes.
- Finally, restart the Oculus software, reboot your PC, and verify that the virtual Desktop works fine.
Use dedicated graphics card
Plug the Oculus 2 headset into the dedicated graphics card to fix the black screen issue. To do this on Nvidia:
- Right-click on your Windows desktop and select the NVIDIA Control Panel option.
- Now navigate to 3D settings and then select Manage 3D settings on the left.
- Under Program Settings, choose Oculus Quest 2 app from the list and select the “High-performance NVIDIA processor” option.
Turn off the in-game overlay
You can fix the Oculus Quest 2 virtual desktop black screen by turning off the in-game overlay feature. To do this, open the GeForce Experience app on your Windows desktop. Next, click on the cogwheel icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Finally, disable the in-game overlay option.
Adjust Oculus Quest 2 resolution
You can try lowering the Oculus Quest 2 resolution if your link displays a black screen.
- Unplug Oculus Quest 2 from the PC.
- Go to the Oculus folder under C:\Program Files.
- Run the OculusDebugTool.exe program under Support –> oculus-diagnostics.
- Set the Encode Resolution Width to 2784 and restart your PC and headset for the changes to take effect.
How do you reset the Oculus Quest 2?
If you press the Oculus Quest 2 power button and the screen goes black, you can perform a hard reboot and factory reset your Oculus Quest 2 headset to fix the issue. To do this:
- Turn off your Oculus Quest headset
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to let Oculus Quest 2 undergo a hard reboot.
- Do the hard reboot from the Bootloader menu if you can’t hard reboot Oculus Quest 2 with the power button. To do this, turn off the headset and press and hold the power buttons for 10 seconds until you see the Bootloader menu.
- Next, choose the Boot device from the menu and press the power button to hard reboot Oculus Quest 2.
Now verify that the black screen is fixed. If the issue persists, you can try factory resetting your Oculus Quest 2 headset. Remember that it is an irreversible measure and will remove all headset data. However, the process won’t erase your purchased or downloaded content. To factory reset Oculus Quest 2:
- Turn off the VR headset and hold the power and volume down button until you see the Boot screen menu.
- Next, use the volume buttons to highlight the Factory reset option and press the power button to select it.
- Now use the volume buttons to highlight the Yes option and then press the Power button to start the factory reset process.
- Wait for a few minutes and turn on your Oculus Quest 2 headset.
- Finally, verify that you don’t see a black screen anymore.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix the black screen on your Oculus Quest 2 headset and the Virtual Desktop. We recommend that you update your Windows drivers before starting to troubleshoot the Oculus 2 black screen on your PC. Furthermore, contact Oculus for additional support and have your headset replaced or repaired if all else fails.