Have you closed the New World game but it won’t stop running on Steam client? Does the launcher fail to detect that New World is closed? In this article, we will guide you on why you can’t quit the game and how you can troubleshoot the issue.
After all the delays and failures, New World is turning out to be a new leader on the gaming planet. Currently, there are a lot of issues going on with the game as is expected when any game is newly launched. Most of these issues seem to be server-related.
However, a few users on various gaming forums are reporting issues such as “New World won’t stop running” that indicate a problem with the Steam client or the game. The game continues to consume PC resources after exit and slows the performance of the system as well. Stick with this guide to find out the easy fixes for this issue.
Why does Steam say New World game is running when it’s not?
If your Steam client is showing that the New World game is running after exit, it could be due to the following reasons.
- Another process of the New World game or Steam client is running in the background
- New World is running under a different user profile on your PC
- Another game is using anti-cheat along with New World
- Steam client installation app is corrupted and causing issues with the game
How do I fix New World won’t stop running after closing?
Use task manager
It is possible that the New World might be running in the background even though you have closed it on Steam client. To fix this, you can use Windows Task Manager in the following way.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your PC keyboard and click on “Start Task Manager” or right-click on the desktop taskbar and select Task Manager
- Under the Applications tab, select Steam and hit on End Task
- Next, switch to the processes tab and locate all processes that relate to Steam client and New World
- Click on End process for both Steam client and New World running processes
- Close the Task Manager and launch the game
Relogin to Steam and restart PC
If ending the New World via Task Manager does not solve the issue, try logging out and into the Steam client again. Sometimes, if the game has been opened on a mid-end computer, it takes a lot of time for the game to exit. Therefore, restarting the Steam client reinitializes the game library, hence fixing your issue. To do this:
- Launch the Steam client app on your PC
- Click on Steam on the top left corner
- Select Change User and click on Log out
- Enter your login credentials on the login screen
- Now check the status of Steam and verify that the New World is not running
- If the issue persists, restart your PC and repeat the above steps
Close other games running anti-cheat
Quite often, another game is using the anti-cheat along with New World. The steam client may not close New World completely if other games with anti-cheat are running. Therefore, you may need to locate all the games with easy-cheat and close them as well to resolve the issue.
Update New World
For a few users, the issue got itself fixed after updating the New World game. Maybe a new patch in the update did the trick. Therefore, make sure that you are using the latest version of the game. To do this:
- Launch the Steam client and navigate to the Steam library
- Right-click on the New World game and click on properties from the drop-down menu
- Under the Updates tab, select the “High Priority – Always auto-update this game before others” or “Always keep this game updated” option
How do I delete my New World?
If none of the above fixes work for you, try reinstalling the New World game to fix the corrupted files. To do this:
- Head to the Library section on the Steam client
- Locate the New World game and right-click on it
- Click on Manage –> Uninstall option and select Yes to the prompt that says “Delete game files”
- Restart the Steam app and go to the Steam library again
- Select the New World game, right-click on it, and select Install
- Now launch the game and play it for a while
- Next, close the game and see if New World is still running after closing it
How do I reinstall Steam without deleting games?
Sometimes, it’s not the game that is the source of the issue. The steam client can also malfunction and won’t let the games fully close on the platform. To fix this, you may need to reinstall the Steam client. However, you can do it without deleting your games.
- Launch the Steam client app and click on Steam on the top left corner
- Select the “Backup and Restore games” option
- Click on “Backup currently installed programs” and click Next
- Next, select the New World game and click Next
- Enter the path for the new backup, then click Next
- Configure backup size settings and filename and click Next to start the backup
- Now you can reinstall the Steam client and use the “Restore a previous backup” option under the “Backup and Restore” option to retrieve game data
Another way of taking a backup of your game is to make a copy of the Steam app folder which is saved in the “C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\” path. Afterward, when you reinstall Steam, move the backup folder to the new Steam app folder.
New Word running after closing is an annoying issue rather than a critical error. However, you can get rid of this annoyance by following the easy troubleshooting steps in this guide. Remember, some game titles have a launcher that co-exists with Steam and shows up on your System tray. Therefore, if you spot it, close it as well to fix the issue.