Are you trying to install the latest Minecraft Java edition on Windows 10 OS and getting an error code 0x80131509? Have you tried relaunching the game launcher but still can’t install the Minecraft Jave version on your computer? This article will guide you on how to fix the error with the help of easy-to-follow troubleshooting steps.
Without spending on a big marketing budget, Minecraft has become one of the most popular games worldwide by word of mouth advertisement. The game is a virtual land where players create their experiences by making their own worlds.
Minecraft has many gaming editions that you can play on various devices such as computers, Xbox, smartphones, etc. However, users who try to install the official newest version of the Minecraft Java edition on their Windows 10 computer often get the 0x80131509 error.
What is the difference between Minecraft Java and Bedrock versions?
Let’s take a look at the few differences between the Minecraft Java and Bedrock editions so that you can better understand why players are sticking with the Java editions despite the 0x80131509 error code.
- You can download any online skin or create your skin and customize it to upload and use it in the game.
- Minecraft Java Edition is only playable on Windows, Linux, and macOS computers.
- You can download community-made mods for a variety of gameplay experiences.
- You need higher computer specifications to run the Minecraft Java edition smoothly.
- Minecraft Java players can only play with other Java edition players.
- Java edition offers many online servers and communities with variations and mods to spice up the multiplayer experience.
- Minecraft Bedrock Edition is playable on mobile, PC, and Minecraft console.
- You can buy skin packs and Add-Ons from the marketplace to change the gameplay experience.
- Bedrock players can play with players of different game editions online, except Java players.
- You can run the Minecraft Bedrock edition with a minimum system requirement and run smoother than the Java edition.
- Bedrock edition lets the player switch to a controller for mobility and has touch controls on a mobile device.
- Bedrock edition is connected to the Xbox services that offer heavily moderated parental controls.
Why do I see Minecraft Java errors?
- The automatic Windows update option is turned off.
- You are not running the latest Windows 10 build.
- Windows Java is outdated.
How do I fix Minecraft Java?
To fix Minecraft Java error code 0x80131509 on Windows 10 PC, try the following troubleshooting steps.
Restart your PC
Restarting a Windows 10 PC works like a charm for various gaming issues. Therefore, it never hurts to give your system a quick reboot. It might be enough to fix the error code.
To do this, choose the restart option from the boot menu. When the system reboots, run the Minecraft Java launcher to get rid of the install error.
Run Windows update
Sometimes you think that your Windows 10 is running on the latest version. However, if you are getting the 0x80131509 while installing Minecraft Java, your Windows 10 build is probably not up to date.
To confirm your Windows 10 version, click on the start menu on your Windows 10 desktop and type “winver” in the search box. Alternatively, press and hold the Windows key on the keyboard and press R. Afterward, type “winver” in the Run box and press Enter.
Now you can see which Windows 10 build you are running. If you are not on the latest Windows 10 build, do the following steps to ensure that your Windows 10 is always up to date.
- Click on the Start button and then navigate to Settings –> Update & Security.
- Now click on the Windows Update option and then click on Check for updates.
- Once Windows 10 is updated, click on the Advanced options and select “Automatic (recommended)” under the “Choose how updates are installed” option.
Ensure Java is updated
If you want to install the Minecraft Java edition, ensure that you have the latest Java in your Windows 10. Minecraft community and Mojang both recommend keeping the Java up to date. Doing this lets you install the game effortlessly without any error and can enhance your gaming experience.
Change compatibility mode
Many Minecraft players have unresolved issues after the release of the new launcher for Windows 10. We believe Windows 10 is doing some extra checks that fail the launcher to install the game on your PC.
Well, here is some good news for you. If you have bought the game and are not just on GamePass, you can download and install the Windows 7/8 launcher and run it on your Windows 10 PC for now. The players have been using the Windows 7/8 launcher for years, and a few users installed Minecraft Java through it on Windows 10.
However, to do it right, you need to set the compatibility mode to Windows 8 in the following way.
- Download the old launcher (Windows 7/8) on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now right-click on the old launcher .exe file and click on Properties.
- Under the compatibility tab, check the box for the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option.
- Now set the compatibility to Windows 8 and save changes.
- Finally, run the installer and verify that you don’t see the error anymore.
Wait for the devs to fix the issue
Since the release of a new Minecraft Java launcher, it seems to have some issues on the server end. However, game developers are aware of the problem. Unfortunately, you will have to wait for devs to release a new patch for the fix.
Minecraft Java is an excellent game for kids to play on a Windows 10 computer. We hope you can now install the game for your kids or students on your PC by following our troubleshooting steps. Also, Malware can interfere with the game installation. Therefore, ensure that you run the antivirus program before running the Minecraft installer on your PC.