Back in 2017, Apple replaced its fingerprint technology with software that was even more advanced. Face recognition, although the software isn’t without its flaws. However, for the most part, it works and takes away the effort of having to enter (and remember) passwords, and removes the need for your passcode.
However, what happens when you are trying to use Face ID, but your iPhone 12 Face id is not working? Here are some troubleshooting tips for when your Face ID isn’t working how it should be.
iPhone 12 Face ID not working
If you’re having difficulties using your Face ID, this is frustrating. Especially when you don’t understand why it stopped working all of a sudden, to make this easier for you, we’ve rounded up some of the best but yet effective ways to make your Face ID work again.
Restart your iPhone 12
Although this may seem like an easy method, it can be greatly effective. Fully resetting your phone can fix a lot of cell problems. By doing this, you can reset your system, and hopefully, it may fix this bug.
Delete Face ID and then reset it
If your Face ID isn’t recognizing you, it may be worth pressing the reset button and trying to set it up again. Plenty of things such as the light, hair color, and glasses can impact whether or not it works.
Clean your cameras and sensors
Cleaning your camera front and back can help with this. Alongside making sure, you’re not covering the front camera sensors as all of these can cause potential problems for face ID. Simply point your phone in the direction of your face, make sure you are well lit, and try your face in different positions, e.g., from the side.
Remove your case or screen protector
For a lot of users who are having issues with their Face ID not working, they tend to remove their screen protector and try again, and it appears to have worked. Although the protector was clear, it seems to have made the sensor weak in some places.
How to set up Face ID for iPhone
If you’re setting up Face ID for the first time but aren’t sure how to do so, we have a step by step guide on how to set up your Face ID-
- Go to the settings cogs and click it, followed by scrolling down to Face ID and Passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID
- Make sure you’re in a well-lit room and hold your device in portrait mode in front of your face.
- Next, tap ‘get started’ and move your head around gently to complete the full circle. When you have done this, it should turn fully green.
- Following on from this tap, continue, and your phone will ask you to do the same again.
- Finally, you will be advised your face ID has been set up.
Some apps require you to use your password at first to activate the ID. However, setting it up does make your life a lot easier.
iPhone 12 face recognition how to reset
If you change your appearance or find your iPhone is forever not unlocking for your face. We’d recommend resetting this on your phone to make accessing your phone even easier.
- Head on to settings via the cog and scroll down to Face ID and passcode.
- Click this, and it will ask you for your phone passcode. Once you’ve entered this, you should be taken to a screen with several options.
- This includes settings such as iPhone unlock, password autofill and requires attention for face ID.
- If you notice towards the bottom of the page, there should be some red writing which says ‘reset Face ID.’
- Once you click on this, it instantly removes it and is ready for you to set it up again.
- If you had an alternative appearance set up, it would also require this to be reset as well.
Face id repair iPhone 12
Face ID is compiled of fragile sensors. Once the sensors break, then it is likely your Face ID won’t work anymore. If you’re looking to get this repaired, but know something has happened to any of the sensors via a phone breakage, it will no longer be able to work. Even with a new screen in place. If you’re unsure of your phone’s error, it may be worthwhile taking it into the Apple Store to see what solutions they may be able to offer.
Can water damage make my Face ID not work?
If your iPhone 12 is exposed to a large amount of water, this can result in the failure of Face ID due to the circuit inside of the phone.
How do I pay on Apple Pay without a face ID?
@heynaaty via Twenty20
Luckily, even without Face ID, paying via Apple Pay is easy. All you need to do is simply type in the passcode on your phone, and this will work as a form of identification for your Apple Pay. Be sure to make the passcode on your phone strong to avoid anybody else using it.
Will my face id work with a mask
iPhone offers an alternative appearance, so you’re actually able to set up two profiles based on how you look for Face ID. This is great for those who wear glasses or wear a face mask in more recent times. If you’re looking to set an alternative appearance, you will find this in your face ID and passcode setting. Setting this up is easy to do, and you just follow the same steps you used to set it up in the first place.
Does iPhone 8 have Face ID?
The iPhone 8 does not have Face ID technology and still operates its locking system via a fingerprint sensor. Any iPhone from the X upwards has the Face ID software installed.
Whether you’re a new iPhone user or a long-term Apple fantastic, fixing issues with your technology can be annoying and overwhelming. Therefore we hope our guide to fixing your iPhone helps resolve your issues.