Quite often, people using Hulu get an error code 500 while watching any TV show. The 500 is a common error when you use a website browser to access Hulu content. However, you can get the same error on the Hulu app as well.
People who want to enjoy TV series and live shows love Hulu. Their streaming service is fantastic with a huge collection of TV Shows. But today, the apps depend on various factors to provide you with seamless content generation such as internet speed and a compatible streaming device.
Therefore, any issue with the Hulu app, streaming device, or internet connection can break the user experience. In this article, we will specifically discuss why you get the error code 500 and what steps can you follow to get rid of it.
What does error code 500 mean on Hulu?
A lot of Hulu users are reporting that they are getting the error code 500 while watching content through their web browsers.
You’ll get a “Sorry, we have experienced an unpredicted error” or “There was an error on this page” message on your screen.
In many cases, you can fix the error by refreshing your browser. But if the issue persists, you can try the troubleshooting steps in this guide and see which one works for you.
Why do I keep getting an error message on Hulu?
The 500 error code is more specific to the web browsers. Most of the time, the error is due to a Hulu server-related issue and you’ll get the service back rather quickly. Clearing the browser cache generally solves this problem.
However, if you are getting the error on the Hulu app, it can be due to any one of the following reasons.
- Your internet speed is low for live and on-demand streaming on Hulu
- Your Hulu app cache is bulking up with junk files and needs to be cleared
- You are using an outdated version of the Hulu app on your streaming device
How do I fix error code 500?
Clear browser cache and cookies
The 500 error code usually pops up when you are watching content from a web browser. Therefore, you may need to clear your browser cookies and cache to get rid of the error message.
To clear cookies on Google Chrome:
- Tap on the three vertical dots near your profile picture on the upper right-hand side
- From the list, choose and click the More tools option
- Now navigate to Clear Browsing Data
- For better results, choose “All time” from the time range
- Make sure to select browsing history, cookies & other site data, and Cached images and files
- Next, hit on clear data and relaunch the Chrome browser
If you are playing Hulu content on Firefox, do the following to clear its cookies.
- Click on the three horizontal lines on the Firefox browser and select the Settings Option
- From the navigation menu on the left side, click on Privacy and Security
- Locate Cookies and Site Data and hit on Clear Data
- Next, scroll down to the History section and click on Clear History
- Restart the Firefox browser and play content on Hulu error-free
To clear cache and cookies on a Safari browser:
- Open Safari browser and click on the Safari gear icon on the top right side of the screen
- Now select Preferences and then click on Privacy
- Next, select on “Manage website data” and choose the “Remove all” option from below
- Hit Enter to clear all the Safari cookies
Check internet connection speed
Hulu recommends that you have at least 6 MBPS internet speed for live streaming and 3 MBPS speed for on-demand streaming. Therefore, you need to check your internet speed and look for any abnormal drops in the test results.
If you find out that your internet speed is poor, you can use a VPN with Hulu. This way, you can bypass your ISP that is throttling your internet speed to save the bandwidth. Furthermore, you can use an ethernet cable to connect your streaming device with your router or hub to diagnose any issue with the faulty WIFI coverage in your home.
Use an updated version of the Hulu app
Using an old version of the Hulu app gives birth to numerous errors. Therefore, always try to use the latest Hulu app version. To install the latest updates on your iOS device:
- Go to App Store and tap on Menu
- Next, tap on App updates and locate the Hulu app
- Hit on the Update button
To install the latest updates for the Hulu app on the Google Play store:
- Tap on your profile picture and select Manage apps and updates
- Tap on Updates available, locate the Hulu app and install the latest updates
Seeing a Hulu error code 500 interrupts the joy of watching your favorite TV show. Hopefully, this guide helped you find out different ways to get rid of the error. However, if you are still experiencing the issue, contact Hulu customer service and report your problem there. Have a nice day!