Do you want to know how to play Age of Empires 4 on your Mac? The latest installment of the Age series is finally here, and there are plenty of new things in the game. That is why the AOE fans are eager to play it on their MACs.
In the Age of Empires series, the Age of Empires 3 didn’t quite get popular compared to the second installment. Now that the AOE4 is up for grabs, gaming fans are already calling it better gameplay than AEO2. As far as we know, the number of active AEO4 subscribers back up what the gaming gurus have predicted. It is, in fact, a hit.
You can download and play Age of Empires 4 through Xbox game pass or Steam. However, there is still some ambiguity about whether you can play the game on a Mac. Let’s find out if it’s possible to play Age of Empires on Mac and if yes, how can you do it.
Can you play Age of Empires 4 on Mac?
If you are a fan of Age of Empires, you might want to play the latest installment in the series. However, if you have a Mac, Age of Empires 4 is not available to play for Mac users. Although it is a bummer for many game fans, many Age of Empire gamers might not own a Windows PC and still use a Mac.
However, can you, as a Mac user, play Age of Empires 4? Well, yes, but it is not a straightforward process. To play the game, you need to install Windows as a parallel operating system on your Mac. In the following topics, we’ll show you exactly how to do it.
What do I need to install Windows 10 on my MAC?
To play Age of Empires 4, developers require you to install the Windows 10 operating system on your MAC. However, as Mac runs on macOS, you can also install Windows 10 on it. To do so, first, make sure that your Mac PC can run the game and meet the recommended system requirements.
Secondly, you need to download the Windows 10 disk image (ISO file) and save it on the Mac drive. Remember to select the 64-bit Windows 10 version and choose the English (United States) language before confirming the download.
Alternatively, if you want to install Windows 10 on Mac from an external device, you need a USB drive to do so.
What does boot camp do to your Mac?
Boot camp utility is built into the operating system of all Mac PCs. You can find the Bott camp Assistant app under Applications –> Utilities folder. This feature makes another partition on your Mac drive to install and run Windows 10.
Once you install Windows 10, Boot Camp will ask you to choose macOS or Windows 10 as your bootable operating system every time you power on your Mac. So if you are to switch from Windows to macOS, you need to reboot your PC and select macOS from the Boot Camp menu.
Boot Camp is easy to use, and the utility guides you through the installation process. While doing so, it puts less strain on your Mac PC processing power and internal memory.
Furthermore, Boot Camp is completely free and easy to update. However, transferring data between operating systems within the Mac PC isn’t easy.
How do I install Windows 10 on my Mac?
To install Windows 10 on your Mac, do the following steps in a sequence.
- First, launch the Boot Camp Assistant app on your Mac. To do this, go to Applications –> Utilities folder and click on Continue.
- Click Next on the Welcome to Boot Camp message and accept terms and conditions and then click Install.
- Boot Camp will automatically detect the location of the Windows 10 ISO file on your PC.
- Now your Mac will restart and launch the Windows installer. Also, it will automatically select and format the correct partition to install Windows 10.
- Next, select the location of Windows 10 ISO and click on the Install button.
- Type in your password and press OK to see the Windows 10 setup screen.
- Choose your language and select the “Install Now” option.
- Enter Windows 10 product key or choose the “I don’t have a product key” option.
- Choose Windows 10 version and click Next.
- Select the Boot Camp partition (Drive 0 Partition X: BOOTCAMP) and click Next.
- Choose either Express or Custom settings (We recommend Custom settings to disable most of the switches).
- Now create an account by typing in username and password for Windows 10 login and then click Next.
- Next, you can choose to enable or disable “Cortana personal assistant” to use it with Windows 10.
- Finally, click on the Finish button to let the Mac PC restart and view the Boot Camp menu.
How to install Windows 10 on Mac with a USB drive?
If you want to install Windows 10 on your Mac with a USB drive, do the following steps
- Grab a USB drive with at least 5 GB of space.
- Download the Windows 10 ISO file and save it on the USB drive.
- Next, attach the USB drive with your Mac PC (Disconnect all external devices during this process).
- Run the Boot Camp Assistant utility.
- Tick the “Install Windows” and “Download the latest Windows support software for Apple ” boxes.
- Choose the USB drive and enter the location of the Windows 10 ISO file.
- Now Mac will restart and launch the Windows installer
- Create a minimum of 20 GB partition space to allocate Windows 10 (We recommend a 50 GB partition).
- Click on Format and then choose your ISO file to begin the installation of Windows 10 on your Mac PC.
- Follow all the on-screen instructions mentioned in the above steps, i.e., make a partition, type in Windows 10 product code, create Windows 10 login credentials to complete the installation.
How can I play Age of Empires on Mac?
Now that you have downloaded and installed Windows 10 on your Mac, it is time to download and play the Age of Empires 4 on it. You can do it in the following way.
- Boot your Mac PC with Windows 10 version from the Boot Camp menu.
- Now make a Steam account (If you don’t already) by visiting the Steam website.
- Next, purchase the Age of Empires 4 game from Steam.
- Download the Steam client app on your Windows 10 parallel operating system.
- Enter the Steam account login details and head to the library section.
- Locate Age of Empires 4 in the library and right-click on it to download the game.
- Launch AOE4 and start playing the game.
Do these steps instead if you are not a fan of Steam and want to play the Age of Empires 4 game through Xbox Game pass for PC.
- First, locate the Xbox app from the Microsoft Store and download it in Mac Windows 10 parallel operating system.
- Next, click on the downloaded file to install Xbox app.
- Open the Xbox app and sign up for Xbox Game Pass for PC.
- Download Age of Empires 4 from the Xbox library and start playing it.
Although the Age of Empires 4 game is not available for Mac users, you can still play it. If you follow all the steps correctly in this guide, you should be able to play AOE4 on your Mac in no time. We recommend that you always check the PC requirement for the game before going through the hassle of installing a parallel Windows OS on Mac.