Are you trying to play GTA Online, but the game won’t load? Do you see an infinite loading screen on both your PC and gaming console? Don’t worry; this article will explore possible reasons for the issue and ways to fix it.
GTA Online game was not that popular on the launch, but it got better with time and is now proving to be a resounding success for Rockstar. The addition of Heists in GTA Online takes the game to another level.
However, many users report an incredibly frustrating issue: the game won’t load, be stuck in an endless loading screen, or load very slowly on their devices. There can be a lot of reasons that cause this problem, but the good news is that you can fix it quite quickly and easily.
Can I run GTA Online on my PC?
Following are the minimum system requirements to load and play GTA Online.
- Windows 7 64 bit with Service pack 1
- Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) or AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz processor
- A minimum of 4GB of RAM
- An NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB or equivalent graphics card
- DirectX 10 compatible sound card
- 65GB of hard disk space
However, many users report that GTA Online won’t load with the above specs. Rockstar recommends upgrading your PC to the following standards to launch the game successfully.
- Windows 8.1 64 Bit 0r higher
- Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) or AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs) processor
- 8GB recommended RAM
- NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB or AMD HD7870 2GB graphics card
- A 100% DirectX 10 compatible sound card.
- 65GB of hard disk space
Why does GTA Online takes forever to load?
- Home broadband connectivity issues
- Windows not running on latest updates
- Loading the game without necessary permissions
- Unsupported character in the game’s mission description
- Faulty disc or console
- GTA Online service outage
How do I make GTA Online load faster?
If GTA Online is loading slowly or not loading at all on your PC, the following fixes can help you get rid of the issue.
Update Windows OS
In some cases, GTA Online won’t load due to an outdated version of the Windows OS on your PC. Therefore, try installing the latest Windows updates in the following way to make the issue go away.
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard, type Windows Update, and hit enter.
- Under the Windows Update page, click on the “Check for updates” option.
- Your Windows OS will search for the available updates and install them automatically.
- Finally, reboot your PC and check if GTA Online loads successfully.
Troubleshoot broadband issues
Networking problems can offer trigger GTA Online loading issues. Rebooting your router is the quickest way to fix the problem.
To do this, locate the power button on your router. Next, press and hold it for 5 to 15 seconds. Afterward, release the power button and wait for 30-40 seconds. Now press the power button again to turn on the router and wait for the router lights to stabilize themselves. Finally, try to load GTA Online and see if the issue persists.
Run GTA Online as administrator
If GTA Online does not have the necessary permissions, it may not load or run smoothly. You can fix the issue by running the game with administrative privileges.
- Go to the GTA Online installation folder on your PC.
- Right-click on the .exe launcher file and click on Properties.
- Next, click the Compatibility tab and look for the “Run this program as an administrator” option.
- Check the box next to the option and click on Apply to save the changes.
How do I fix GTA Online not loading on my console?
Try the following troubleshooting steps if GTA Online game gets stuck on an endless loading screen during the transition into Online mode on your PS or Xbox console.
Load another character slot
The first fix is to load another character slot to check if the problem occurs with a specific character. However, if the game is not loading at all, continue with the following troubleshooting steps.
Check GTA server status
The next fix is to check the GTA Online service status. You may be trying to load the game during an outage. If this is the case, wait for the service to get back up and running.
Check your disc and console
Put your GTA Online disc in another console, or maybe use your friend’s disc in your console to determine the problem with your console or the disc. If neither of them is the cause, troubleshoot connection issues by:
- Checking UDP ports
- Troubleshooting home network
- Enabling or disabling UPnP on your router.
Eliminate unsupported mission characters
If the GTA Online doesn’t load at all on your gaming console, you may have used the Creator to create the GTA Online mission with a description that has unsupported characters such a “%.” To fix the issue, email Rockstar from your Social Club account so that they can delete the character. Make sure that you can provide:
- Your gaming console (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, or Xbox One).
- Your PSN ID that is linked to the Social Club account
- The name of the mission that has the unsupported character mentioned in the description
- A confirmation message that you would like to delete the unsupported character.
After Rockstart deletes the unsupported character in the mission, you should then be able to load GTA Online on your console.
GTA Online not loading or being stuck in an endless loading loop is an annoying issue for the game players, and we have tried our best to list all the possible reasons and fixes for the problem on your PC and gaming console.
If this guide couldn’t help you resolve the problem, we recommend using Steam client rather than Rockstar to load and play GTA Online.