Are you playing the GTA Online game on your Play Station, and all of a sudden, an error CE-34878-0 pops up on your display? Does the game crash after you see the error code? Don’t worry; this guide will show why you get the notification on PS4 and how to fix it.
GTA (Grand Theft Auto) Online is an action-adventure game developed by David Jones and Mike Dailly, and it belongs to a genre of open-world games that permits a lot of freedom for the player. You can play the game on your PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and PC. GTA 5th edition will be available on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S from 2022.
Grand Theft Auto game players often face issues and bugs that interrupt their gameplay, and the error CE-34878-0 is one of them. Let’s find out what it means and why you see the code on your PS4 gaming console.
What does the CE-34878-0 error mean?
Many GTA Online game players report they when they are in the middle of the game, the error CE-34878-0 shows up on their PS4 display, and the game crashes. The error message indicates a problem with the game or the Play Station software, causing interference and resulting in a crash.
If you get the CE-34878-0 error code, restarting the game can help fix the issue. However, you may need to dig a little deeper if that doesn’t work for you.
Why do I see a CE-34878-0 error on my PS4?
There can be a lot of reasons for the CE-34878-0 error to show up on your PS4, and a few GTA Online players believe that it can occur because of the console’s corrupt game or system files. However, the following are some other possible reasons for the error.
- Your Play Station 4 is running on outdated firmware.
- The face recognition option is enabled on PS4.
- The Grand Theft Auto Online game is not updated.
- A temporary glitch in the PS4 software is causing the CE-34878-0 error.
- You have changed your PS4 hard drive with a third-party HDD.
How do I fix error CE 34878 0?
Here are some of the best and working solutions to fix the CE-34878-0 error while playing GTA Online on PS4.
Power cycle your PS4 gaming console
We recommend that you first try one of the basic methods to fix the error code, and one of them is restarting the PS4 console. Multiple users report that the issue is temporary, and when they power cycle the console, the error is gone. To power cycle your console, do these steps.
- Go to the PS4 Power options and select “Turn off PS4”.
- Once the console is shut down, plug its power cord out of the main socket.
- Next, wait for about 3 minutes and plug the power cord back into the main socket.
- Now press the Power button on the PS4 console to turn it on.
- Finally, launch the GTA Online game and see if the error persists.
Update PS4 firmware
If power cycling the PS4 does not fix the GTA Online error, try updating the PS4 software. The latest firmware may have a patch for the CE-34878-0 error. Furthermore, keeping your PS4 up-to-date solves numerous issues related to console software and gaming errors. You can do it in the following way.
- Turn on your PS4, go to the Home screen, and select the Settings option.
- Next, head to the System Software Update option and select it.
- Now your Play Station 4 will look for the latest firmware automatically.
- Install the pending updates, reboot your console, and launch the GTA Online game to verify the fix.
Disable face recognition
If you are still receiving CE-34878-0 error on GTA Online after updating the PS4 software, check if a PS camera is connected to the console. If this is the case, detach it from the system, reboot PS4, and disable Face Recognition in the following way.
- Head to the PS4 Settings menu from the Home screen option.
- Next, select “User” and go to “Login Settings.”
- Look for the “Enable Face Recognition” option and uncheck it.
- Now try playing the GTA Online game and see if this fixes the issue.
Updating GTA Game
If updating the PS4 software and disabling face recognition didn’t fix the error, we suggest you look for the GTA Online game update as well. Sometimes the error pops up due to an issue with the game, and players often oversee it. To update the GTA Online game:
- From the Play Station Home screen, select the GTA game.
- Next, press the Options button on the controller.
- Look at the right pane, and select “Check for updates.’
- Install the pending GTA Online updates and run the game to confirm that you no longer see the CE-34878-0 error.
Initialize your PS4 gaming console
If the above fixes fail to work for you, back your data and initialize your PS4 console. To do this:
- Go to the PS4 Home screen and navigate to Settings.
- Next, scroll to locate the “Initialize PS4” option and select it.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions and run the GTA Online game to check if the error code CE-34878-0 persists.
Put back the original HDD
If you buy many games, you can upgrade your PS4 hard drive with a larger third-party hard disk. Also, you can benefit from faster game loading times by replacing your standard PS4 drive with an SSD. However, sometimes, you may experience CE-34878-0 error while doing so.
Therefore, we recommend using the original HDD that came with your console. Many users confirmed that they did not see the error after putting the original hard drive back in the Play Station 4.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix the CE-34878-0 while playing Grand Theft Auto Online on your Play Station. We recommend that you start with the basic troubleshooting steps and then try to update your PS4 and GTA Online. However, if there is no other way to resolve the issue, contact Play Station customer support and ask for guidance.