If you’re a regular user of Reddit you may have the app on your phone, which makes it easier to view and comment on Subreddits. With so much going on at all times on Reddit, it makes sense to have the app on your phone, especially if you use the notifications feature.
However, if you no longer want to use Reddit or you want a break from the site, you may be wondering Can I uninstall Reddit or will I lose everything?
The good news is uninstalling the Reddit app will not make you lose everything on your Reddit. But if you’re unsure about what will make you lose all of your data on Reddit, here’s some information on deactivating Reddit and what that means for your user.
Can I Uninstall Reddit or Will I Lose Everything?
If you uninstall the Reddit app but don’t deactivate your account, you will still be able to regain access to your account.
You can regain access to your account when you redownload the app or by simply signing in on a web browser. All you need to do is log in again. It is worth noting that you will need the details you signed up with to sign back in. This is because deleting apps usually removes associated data that was on your phone such as usernames.
Can I use Reddit without the app?
Reddit can be used with the app, as it is compatible with web browsers too. Therefore if you find the web browser works better for you on your device than the app, you can use it this way also.
How do I uninstall Reddit?
Looking to uninstall the app but don’t know how, here’s a quick guide on how to uninstall an app on Android and iPhone.
How to remove the Reddit app on Android
- Head on to the Google Play Store app
- At the top right of the page, choose the profile icon
- Then choose Manage apps and devices
- Search for Reddit
- Select uninstall
Within a few minutes, this app will no longer appear on your home screen and it will be completely uninstalled from your device.
How to uninstall Reddit on iPhone
If you are looking to uninstall Reddit on your iPhone or iPad, here’s how to do this:
- Locate the app you are looking to delete e.g. Reddit
- Then hold down the app until it jiggles
- Then choose to remove the app by pressing the ‘X’ in the top right-hand corner of the app.
- You next will have a choice between deleting the app from your home screen or deleting the app completely
- If you want to completely remove it from your choose ‘Delete app’ then confirm
Are you having issues with Reddit comments? Here’s how to fix the comment issue
Will I lose everything on the Reddit app if I uninstall it?
When deleting the Reddit app from your phone, you will not lose any of the data inside of the app. For example, you will still be following the same Subreddits, and have the same username and password. Even your notifications will appear the same, your Reddit account will still exist even after the Reddit app is uninstalled.
The only thing to be aware of when removing the app is that your username and password may get deleted from your phone, therefore it is important to note down the email and password you used before uninstalling the app.
If deactivate my Reddit account will I lose my username?
If you deactivate your account, then you will no longer be able to access this. Unlike most sites, deactivating your Reddit isn’t temporary, it is a permanent account closure. Therefore if you are looking to take a break from Reddit, it is best to delete the app rather than fully deleting your profile. If you are considering deactivating Reddit, here’s what will happen to your account:
- Your profile will be removed from Reddit, which will also remove your comment history, cake day, and avatar
- Your username will be available to be used again, therefore this can get linked to another account
- On posts your comments will no longer show up, they will just appear as deleted
How do I delete my Reddit account?
If you no longer use Reddit and would like to delete your account, you can only do so on the website version of Reddit, and not in the app. Here’s how to go ahead and delete your user
- Open the Reddit website and choose Log in which is located in the top right-hand corner
- Once you’re signed in to your account, choose your name in the top right
- From the drop-down menu which appears choose User Settings
- Then at the bottom of the page, there is a red button that says ‘deactivate account’
- You will then need to confirm that deleting your Reddit account is permanent
- Then choose to deactivate again
Although this seems like a long process, Reddit does this to make sure its users are aware that they will be unable to recover this account again. This means users have an opportunity to reconsider deleting their accounts first.
We hope you’ve found this post insightful, and if you are deleting Reddit due to technical errors, be sure to check out a 3rd party app such as Joey, or Infinity. Or if you require further tech support, please get in touch with us for assistance.