Getting a new piece of technology is always exciting, especially a new laptop. When you first get on the laptop it is tempting to go browse the internet right away. However, first things first, you need to download some Antivirus software.
There are plenty of paid-for options on the web or you can even get them from your local technology store. But you can also get free antivirus which helps to protect your computer. With Avast being the front runner in free antivirus software. However, what about when you go to download Avast but are greeted with a white screen error when installed?
Here’s how to fix this common issue, so you will be able to use your device instead of looking at a white screen.
Avast Free Antivirus White Screen Error
The Avast Free Antivirus White Screen Error has been an issue that has been reported by several Avast users who have tried to download the software.
If you are getting a white screen on avast when trying to install or open the antivirus, it is likely it will be followed by one of these error messages:
- Sorry we’ve crashed
- Sorry, our screen didn’t load
- Well, this is embarrassing
You could be getting one of these error codes for a number of reasons.
Why am I getting this error?
Here are some of the reasons you may be getting this error when trying to use Avast.
- The software isn’t installed correctly
- Your software is outdated
- The program crashed through the install process
- The internet connection is down
If you are unsure of how to remove programs from your Mac, here’s how to remove Avast from your Apple device.
How to fix the white screen error
When attempting to fix the white screen error you may be unsure of what you need to do, therefore we have created an easy step-by-step guide in order for you to fix your free Antivirus.
Fix 1. Update Avast
First things first, find out if your Avast needs updating. Usually, this would be done inside of a program, however, as Avast isn’t opening we have an alternative method to open Avast, here’s how to update Avast when the program won’t load.
- Make sure Avast is closed down, even the little white screen, you can do this from your taskbar. If you right-click, you will get the option to close it. Alternatively use Control, Alt, and Delete to open up the taskbar and close it from there.
- Head back to your toolbar and on the right hand of the screen you will see ‘^’, click that and then you will see some small icons
- Find the orange icon with 3 lines and then right-click
- Choose update > program > then it will advise you of any updates that are required
- Click yes to these and allow your PC to update Avast, once this is done you will be required to restart your PC.
Fix 2. Manually Update your PC
If the above doesn’t fix your issue, next we’d recommend you update your PC, if you’re unsure on how to do this, do not worry as we have broken this down into 5 easy steps for you.
- Click the start button (which looks like the windows logo) in the bottom left corner.
- Next, choose the settings cog on the bottom left, a separate window should then pop up
- Choose Update & Security
- Then select ‘Check for updates’ which will then provide you with any available updates.
- If there are none available your PC will advise of this. However, if there are go ahead and update. This may take a little while so be sure to have some time before doing this.
Fix 3. Turn off your VPN
If you use a VPN or similar when using your computer. You may encounter errors with your antivirus due to your VPN. Turning this off temporarily should allow for Avast to download correctly.
Fix 4. Uninstall Avast from your PC
After trying the above methods, next, we’d recommend uninstalling Avast and then reinstalling it again. If you’re unsure of how to uninstall the program from your PC, here’s how to do so:
- Head to the Windows start button in the bottom left of the screen
- Use the search bar type in the control panel and click on the program.
- Click Programs > Uninstall a program
- Use the search bar at the top of the page to find ‘Avast Free antivirus’
- Right-click this, then choose to uninstall, next a pop-up will ask if you want to uninstall, click yes.
- A further pop-up will say are you ready to uninstall? Then click the words uninstall then Windows will remove the files for you.
Please note this may take some time, depending on how big the file is.
Fix 5. Delete all of the Avast files
Once your Avast software has been removed, search your files for other Avast folders, including the registry items from Avast. You can search within your files to make sure all files associated with the program are gone.
By doing the uninstall via Windows the files should hopefully already be gone, however, it’s worth having a look.
Fix 6. Reinstall Avast
Once you’ve uninstalled Avast, you then need to go ahead and reinstall it. You can do this from Avast directly, by clicking ‘free download’ in the top right-hand corner. Once you have downloaded this, follow the setup steps by clicking on the downloaded file.
After the file has been downloaded again, try to open this and see if the issues still occur.
We hope these troubleshooting techniques have been helpful when trying to fix the Avast Free antivirus White Screen Error. As we understand getting your antivirus back up and running again is crucial to running your computer safely.
However, if you are still experiencing issues with the free Antivirus software, try to install the original Avast One which is an alternative free Antivirus provided by Avast.
- If your issue is regarding the removal McCafee from your device, here’s a post that you may find useful.