Learning how to use a MacBook can be a little confusing as it runs differently from other laptops and computers. So understanding how the camera works can be a challenge.
Are you looking to understand your camera settings? Or if you’ve never been able to turn on your Apple Camera, we have the answers to help you when your Apple Camera is not working on a laptop.
If you’re unsure of your camera’s status, what the lights on an Apple laptop mean or you have an unresponsive camera, we have some helpful troubleshooting methods for you to try at home.
Apple camera not working on laptop
When trying to work out what issue you are having with your camera, you need to find out if your camera is actually on. Apple advises when your camera indicator glows green, it means the camera is on, if this does not happen it is off.
Other issues include outdated software, screen time blocks, and slow wifi, to find out if any of these apply to your camera keep reading:
Outdated software on your MacBook
If you’ve noticed your Macbook camera is not working, this could be due to several reasons. Sometimes a MacBook camera may not work if there is a missed update.
Firstly, check that your Macbooks software is all up to date. Here’s how you do this:
- Click the Apple logo in the top right-hand corner of the screen, press System Preferences.
- You’ll see an option for Software Update, continue and press this option
- Any updates available for your Macbook will be listed here. You’ll be able to press ‘Update Now’ and install any updates.
Screen Time Blocks Camera
You may be using a newer macOS with an app called Screen Time. Screen Time records and measures all your computer usage so you can see how much time you actually spend on your screen.
- Click the Apple logo in the top right-hand corner, and then click system preferences.
- Click on the option for Content and Privacy, and then find the button for apps. Continue and click on apps.
- Double-check that the option for the camera is ticked. When unticked, then Screen Time will not allow you to use your Camera.
- If you notice any other apps that need to use your camera, such as Zoom or Skype, you may want to check these are also ticked. If they are unticked, you won’t be able to access the camera to use them.
Are you having issues with your Apple Music? Find out why and how to fix it here.
Wifi not working?
Experiencing wifi issues? This could prevent your Mac’s camera from working properly. Always be sure that you are connected to the Internet before using your Macs camera. Issues with a wifi connection will affect users who wish to use apps such as FaceTime.
MacBook pro camera not working no green light
Your Macbook camera will always be on as long as the green light is visible. Apple advises this is a security feature, so a user will always know if their camera is turned on.
If you can’t see any green light when trying to use your camera, then there may be an issue with your device’s camera, this may be an internal job that requires your MacBook to be sent off for repair.
If camera issues are persistent, you can always try booting your mac up in what’s known as ‘Safe Mode’
- When your Mac is first starting up, hold down the shift key until the Apple Logo appears.
- You may be prompted to enter your login information.
- Once you’ve logged into your Mac, you’ll notice the words ‘Safe Boot’ in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Safe mode is useful as it starts up the Mac without using any third-party software. If you have any issues with your Mac, booting up in Safe Mode is a good way to detect any problems. Try opening the camera in safe mode to see if it works.
Apple also advises if the camera indicator light next to the camera flashes green continuously to contact them for further information on this.
Facetime camera not working on mac
If you have issues with Facetime on Mac, you may be confused about what’s actually wrong. Sometimes a reset can help solve the issue.
- First, be sure to quit the Facetime app if you have it open.
- Try opening the app again. Quite often, this simple fix can resolve many issues with the Mac camera.
If the problem with the camera persists, follow these next steps:
- Restart your Mac. Click on the Apple logo in the corner of your screen and click restart.
- Alternatively, try to see if your camera works in any other apps.
- Following on from this, close and quit Facetime, and find another app to open. For example, try testing your camera on Skype.
- If this still does not work, then you know the issue is your camera as opposed to the software.
If you are using external cameras with your Mac, you may be faced with similar issues. There’s a video menu in the Facetime menu; click on the video menu. This will show you options for what cameras are being used by your Mac and what’s connected to your Mac.
How to enable camera on MacBook pro
If you are new to Mac and haven’t yet enabled the camera on your MacBook or MacBook Pro, this may seem confusing. However, we have compiled an easy guide for you to follow when it comes to your Apple camera not working on laptop.
- Click the Apple logo, and find the menu for System Preferences
- In System Preferences, you’ll need to click on Security & Privacy, next click on Privacy
- You should see options for a camera on your device. Find your camera, and it will display which apps can use it in the form of a tickbox list.
- Make sure all relevant apps have permission to access your camera by clicking the tick boxes in the previous step.
Connect your camera on MacBook to the internet
Similarly can be done with the Internet accessing your Mac’s camera, here’s how to go ahead and get this fixed.
- Open Safari, and choose the option for preferences
- In preferences, find the menu for websites.
- Next, click the option for Camera and choose which website can use your camera.
We understand the frustration with your camera not working the way it should and we hope you’ve found these tips for fixing your MacBook useful.