Why is my Fortnite game audio not working?
- The mute The Fortnite sound option is muted in PC system settings
- Your audio device is not set as default under PC playback devices
- You are not using the latest audio drivers on your PC
- Xbox One sound settings are incorrect
- There is a problem with your HDMI cable that connects to Xbox One
- Set-top box connectivity and settings issues on Xbox One
How do I fix no sound in Fortnite PC?
Check Fortnite sound
Sometimes, Fortnite sound is muted on your PC resulting in no audio during play. To check this:
- Launch Fortnite on your PC and minimize it
- Bring up the Windows Settings
- Click System and then select Sound from the left menu
- Check that your input and output devices are working fine. If not, run the troubleshooter
- Next, click on the Advanced sound options and then click on App volume and device preferences
- Search Fortnite and verify that the sound is not muted
Set default playback device
Quite often, your audio hardware won’t work on Fortnite as it is not set as a default playback device on your PC. To set the right playback device:
- Unplug and plug in your audio device to your PC
- Close Fortnite and navigate to Control Panel
- Click the Sound option and select the Playback tab
- Right-click on your audio device and check “Set as default device”
- Next, click on the Recording tab and verify that the audio device is set as default there
- Now launch Fortnite to see if that method fixes the sound issue
Update audio device drivers
If you are not using the latest audio device drivers, you can experience sound issues on Fortnite. To fix this:
- Head to the Device Manager and expand “Audio inputs and outputs”
- Select your audio device and right-click on it
- Now click on update driver and download the latest drivers if Windows can’t find the updated ones
How do I get sound back on Fortnite Xbox?
To get the Fortnite sound back on Xbox, try these fixes.
Check Xbox One audio settings
- Press the Xbox button and then go to Profile & system > Settings > General > Volume & audio output
- Select HDMI audio under Speaker audio
- Now select “Stereo uncompressed” if you are not sure about 5.1 uncompressed”, 7.1 uncompressed, or Bitstream out
Check HDMI cable
Audio signals can not access your Xbox One if the HDMI cable does not have a firm connection with your audio device. Therefore, you need to physically check the HDMI cable connection and look for any sign of damage to the cable as well. Furthermore, you can also try to replace the HDMI cable with a better brand.
Inspect device connectivity issues
A general rule of thumb to fix sound issues on Xbox One is to use the HDMI cable to connect your set-top box into the Xbox One directly. And then connect the Xbox One directly to your TV. Additionally, you can remove any necessary device that is causing the audio signal to degrade while playing Fortnite.
Check set-top box
Sometimes, the sound issues with the game originate from the set-top box. In this case, you may need to reset the set-top box by the following method.
- Disconnect tall the cables from the set-top box
- Wait for 30 seconds
- Plugin the power cable and other cables back into the set-top box
- Now open Fortnite on your Xbox One and verify that there are no sound issues
If you are using an over-the-air set-top box, poor audio reception from the antenna cause sound issues in your gaming console. Therefore, make sure that your HD antenna is working properly.
Fortnite is a great game to play on your PC and Xbox One. However, if you are experiencing sound issues, it can take out the fun factor especially when you are in a duo or in a squad to fight to be the last man standing. We hope that you can fix the Fortnite sound not working issue by following our easy troubleshooting steps.